As we pull together and think about turkey day and all we have to do, whether you are hosting or attending, we can look to include a few special touches that speak to the hearts of those sharing in the holiday with us.
Here are a few ideas that come to mind:
If you are hosting: Yes there is lots to do, but consider forgoing some things (I often feel if I provide a clean toilet and hand towel, I'm good on the cleaning front) which allows for heartfelt preparations.
- Think about cutting up strips of paper in fall colors for your guests to write down what they are thankful for. You can then collect them in a jar and add to it and enjoy them each year. (Be sure to date them) Imagine the fun rereading them as the years go by.
- Start a journal book that guests can write thoughts of gratitude, what is going on in their lives, memories of Thanksgiving traditions, adding to it each year capturing memories in the making.
- Shoot mini clips on your phone, camera etc of family members in attendance and a short story they would like to share.
If you'll be the guest: Special touches can be added when celebrating away from home too.
- A Special handwritten note of thanks to the hostess for all they did to prepare, including gratitude for your relationship and what it means to you.
- Thoughtful hostess gift that says "take a little time tomorrow to relax". A holiday scented candle or an instrumental relaxing CD or big mug with a package of hot chocolate and marshmallows or how about moisturizing mitts with lotion?