Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 Never Fades........................

Alone with my thoughts....they race. I sit to type a post to my blog..they race. At times I feel as if I need a decoder ring to figure out what it all means. What I do know is it has caused me not to post as often.

Life gets in the way.....time scurries by and the page remains blank. So for today, I quiet the racing, don't question the judging and type....I am feeling pensive.

On this anniversary of tragic events twelve years ago, we still hold the vivid images, remembering where we were in detail, the heartache for so many that will always remain and the numb feeling that stayed with us for months, is still within reach.

One of the pieces that stood out for me during that horrific time, was the amazing connection with strangers that took place all around us. Everyone wanting to help! I remember hearing a story of a shoe store owner in NY throwing sneakers into the streets, as barefoot victims tried to run to safety through the rubble. The stories of good are endless. We all functioned in a dazed state. Asking a total stranger how they were doing. We had a common thread. I remember thinking at the time "it was so sad that something so awful and Life shattering had to happen to have people talk to each other, offer comfort, show concern or be more understanding".

My "take away"?.... "that living a Life of compassion, patience and peace goes so much further for the good, rather than the struggles that come along with living defensively in our day to day routines."

So I try and act on the little things that can make a difference...remind us that we are all connected and walking each other home.

Had fun yesterday while out on errands. I smiled and said hello to many people, and I got the same in return....it felt good!

I chatted with a friend who is struggling and then shared my own stresses. We supported and reassured each other......it felt good!

While at the market, I helped an elderly women load groceries in her car....it felt good!

We must stop, think and sometimes make the decision to be conscious of others and how we can make them feel. We have the choice to make it memorable for them as positive rather than negative.

Giving of ourselves on whatever level we can, has benefits that continuously unfold, build momentum and teach our children the important role we all play in seeing others in a positive light.

May the memory of 9/11 bring forth the good and the power that the positive energy can bring.

Peace~

2 comments:

Lori said...

Maria,
I too helped an elderly woman load her car this week. She said "you know those two men saw me and they didn't care, no one cares anymore." After I loaded the stuff, I said to her I'd love to give ya a hug and before I could walk away she walked towards me and we hugged. It felt great and I am glad that I noticed her.
Great post.

Maria Holme said...

"glad that I noticed her" is what it's all about, isn't Lori. Noticing the opportunities around us each and every day.

Thanks for sharing yours ~