Friday, May 4, 2012

Panini Possibilities

1999 First dinner in the breakfast nook...bathed in sun!


 Recently we started mini kitchen renovations to accommodate our growing family. And to be clear, by "growing" I mean our physical size not the number of people in our family.  Years ago when the boys were little we put in a breakfast nook that provided years of awesome family dinners, (conversations & laughter awesome,  NOT so much my cooking...hey we all have our strengths)  it acted as the "kids table" at parties, hosted numerous science experiments, homework hours and oh how can I forget "pumpkin sludge gutting" and Christmas cookie decorating.


Rehashing the years with that table brings on a bit of a melancholy feel. 


Nevertheless, the table and more accurately the bench seating, got too crowded, and last month we removed it, with the vision of my dear husband building an island for the center of the kitchen, for us to eat at.  


Here is the point in the story that I should share with you, how difficult change can sometimes be for me!  Adjustment can be really hard!! Thankfully having been at our "project" adventure for 18+ years now, Mark knows the protocol (that he developed mind you) and as soon as I start to grumble and make a tight face regarding something new and or different, he goes into "live with it for a couple of weeks, see what you think, then make a decision".  Now, I can report, over the years this method has proven to provide various results.


So I walk into the kitchen for the unveiling of  our new island, while keeping in mind how many hours he has put into this new labor of love project..and there it is....true to form, he has designed and built a beautiful piece of furniture. I go for the "sandwich" approach...."wow you did an incredible job!.... I'm concerned it may be a bit too big for the room!!!!!.....(my face starting to tighten).......You are so talented"!!


There, I did it, sandwiched my main concern between showers of praise.  We "discussed" the island a bit more and left it at "living with it for a couple of weeks". 


First week discoveries...... clearly it gets in the way when loading and unloading the dishwasher and if someone is standing at the fridge with the door open you can't walk behind them to get over to the corner cabinet. I kept mental notes.... ok probably more like a tally list.


Second week discoveries...more of the same from the first week... as well as frequently feeling crowded in the room  (more check marks on my mental tally list) 


But last night something changed!!!


Scattered dinner time presented itself and "make your own panini" night unfolded. Well, before I knew it there was harmonious, good feeling chatter, along with stories and laughter about our days. Someone at the panini maker, someone at the island eating, someone just leaning and chatting , someone "cueing up" their panini". It was down right fun I tell ya'!


I started to see all the advantages this new island was bringing to our kitchen not to mention our lives. So now as I step over the open dishwasher door and  curse a little....I think about last night's dinner production and how smoothly it all went... feeling crowded and all.

No comments: