Sunday, May 19, 2013

Happier At Home.....

One of the perks of working at a library is the numerous titles and materials that pass through my fingertips on any given shift. I must say however, sometimes the titles and topics go unnoticed after a while, which serves well for folks taking out Fifty Shades of Grey and feeling a tad embarrassed. Quick side story: one day an elderly gentlemen came in, I'm figuring 85 years plus and wanted help locating the second book in the 50 Shades series. He was not embarrassed at ALL. Said his wife was "hooked on the first one and he wanted to surprise her with the second"...I'm thinking HE may be in for a few surprises himself...too cute)

Back to the purpose of today's post...This week at work, I was checking back in a non fiction book titled "Happier At Home" by Gretchen Rubin. Not being familiar with it, my split second thought (without reading the whole cover) was perhaps it was pertaining to agoraphobia - staying home, fear of being in crowds. The playful cover sparked an interest in me so I took a closer look. I was wrong.

The book in fact is about a woman's 9 month quest to "make her home a place of greater simplicity, comfort and love!" Yes...I love that! Naturally I checked it out and got to thinking. How about I report back in upcoming blog posts, how my own quest goes with this book as my guide?

I feel the benefits I glean from this book, have potential to be great and I want to share that with you, in my efforts to help others "Connect With Your Life."

Imagine my excitement when I found out this author's first book was "The Happiness Project!". What? have I been under a rock? These two books are so ME, it's what I blog about! I am delighted to have discovered them.....and eager to share!

So here goes.....I'm opening the "Happier At Home" book and starting a new chapter in my own book of Life and sharing a piece of it with you!


              

Sharing My Experience of reading: "Happier At Home" Part 1

From the onset, this book provided an identifying feeling that drew me in. The author speaks of  "aiming to find happiness within her daily routine." For me, this daily routine piece is similar, whether it be because the frequency and opportunity to share happiness in my daily routine provides or the fact that, to me, what feels like larger than Life activities and travels overwhelms me and I keep those to a minimum. For now working on greater simplicity, love and happiness in my home feels ideal!

Author Gretchen Rubin shares these components that she learned during research for her Happiness Project  that benefit in this project as well:

"Accept myself, and expect more of myself.
Give myself limits to give myself freedom.
Make people happier by acknowledging that they're not feeling happy.
Plan ahead to be spontaneous: only with careful preparation do I feel carefree.
Accomplish more by working less.
Happiness doesn't always make you feel happy.
Flawed can be more perfect than perfection.
It's very hard to make things easier.
My material desires have a spiritual aspect."

This list inspired me to be mindful of the various aspects that come into play with happiness. I must admit a couple of them don't make sense to me ....yet...but I am eager to read more and learn!

No comments: