Friday, March 9, 2012

Years Bring Wisdom...............

"Growing older is like climbing a mountain: the higher you get, the more strength you need, but the further you see".

Received this quote in my email the other day and really identified with it's meaning. I do feel the older I get I am required to muster up more strength...and I'm not just talking physical, because goodness knows I sigh when I get out of bed in the morning with body aches, but referring to the more substantial issues that I am faced with the older I get.


It's the second part of this quote that really brings me comfort. I do feel with age has come the ability to "see further" and in a more soulful way. I am now able to find the good in more and more situations, I can put reason and compassion in the mix when disagreeing with someone and realize there is more than one way to look at things. I feel I can offer insight and guidance to teenage sons, even though at times they remind me I "just don't get it". Also, in relationships I can truly appreciate the value they bring into my Life. Another very important piece that has come with age is the confidence to follow my heart and put forth in the world what I believe in, regardless of the resistance that sometimes come along with it.


All these aspects of life were lost in my younger years. Perhaps "seeing further" is saved for the later years..or wait a minute, as I write this I think, they were not "lost" I simply had not acquired them yet, because I had to "live and learn" along the way. That's when the age and wisdom piece falls into place. 


Each morning I whisper a silent prayer, seeking patience and guidance, as well as strength to face the "climb" ahead....as I look to add my own little piece/peace in the world!

No comments: