Friday, December 2, 2011

Show Me Compassion......

"The purpose of our life needs to be positive. We weren't born with the purpose of causing trouble, harming others. For our life to be of value, I think we must develop basic good human qualities-warmth, kindness, compassion. Then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful - happier" - taken from "The Essence of Happiness" by The Dalai Lama & Howard C. Cutler,M.D.

This book resonates in me with each page I read! I must admit part of it is the validation I feel in my heart. It's that sense of belonging when we are reassured others feel similar to us. Not ALL the time mind you, because that would be boring....but it is so important to me, that the beliefs at the core of a person are the people I want to surround myself with!

I take comfort in knowing that the other hand is raised to complete my high five........we're connected!  :O)

A common thread through out the book is Compassion ! The more I read, the more I believe that this is the key. When I stop and think about what the other person is going through, I can accept them more easily.

Recently shopping in an over crowded store (ok it was the day after Thanksgiving, but still) a women came at me with a carriage on a mission to obviously occupy the exact spot I was in. There was an "excuse me" from her, in a tone far from polite and my first response was to be nasty back, but I quickly realized that would perpetuate the negative vibe and I had an opportunity to turn this around. I considered she was having an anxious reaction to the lack of personal space (amazed at the same time that I wasn't...that could have gotten real ugly).

I smiled and said "let me get out of your way as soon as I can".  She softened and sped off.

I now realize the way I responded was really for my benefit. It difused my frustration and I carried on with the Black Friday mayhem.

So I'm thinking how amazing it would be, if everyone works on their own personal happiness, we'll cross each others path at some point of our busy days and reap the sweet reward........more peaceful ~ happier .

No comments: