Thursday, December 29, 2011

Peace On Earth...................

My heart was touched by many tender moments this Christmas. One that stands out so sweetly in my mind is when I opened a gift from my sons (ages 14 and 18) Christmas morning. They prefaced my opening the gift by saying....."we were looking online, trying to get ideas of what to get you, so we did a search of kind, peacehappiness and this came up".


I opened the package to see a book titled "How to be Compassionate: A handbook for Creating Inner Peace and a Happier World" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. It feels oh so very special that my boys know me so well. That they would search such tender words to find me a gift.


Last year was of similar feel when they told me they knew all I asked for was "peace on earth"! I then found myself holding my own Peace on Earth "Holmemade" ornament, that brought a tear to my eye.


Frequently I look for the positive results of my efforts as a Mom (which my husband replies "seriously??"..... more obvious to him than me I guess) and I wonder what pieces of their upbringing they will hold onto? If I could pick and choose it would most definitely include my passion for peace and kindness to others.


Whether they know it or not, my sons have given me gifts far beyond the ones they have wrapped. Gifts they have given me indeed.....that I graciously accept and joyously return!

No comments: