Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Make a Difference ...Make Them Feel !

In my quest to participate in a positive way of living, one thing I do is look to quotes for inspiration and encouragement. A favorite site of mine, which emails daily quotes is Gratefulness.org 
A particular quote that has made a difference in my life is by Maya Angelou. 

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

 Actually the more I think about it, when I first read this quote years ago, I felt as if it captured how I was living........ kind of who I am! Someone who wants to make others feel good. I'm sure through deep analysis the reasons behind it could be unearthed, but for me, for now, I know it feels good to make people feel good!

 It is pretty much a knee jerk reaction for me to want to put others at ease, brighten their day or ideally (a tag line I came up with and have big ideas for) Make a Difference...... Make Them Feel!

 I feel small gestures can have such large impact
1. Smile, say hello and make eye contact when you pass someone in the market.....yes they will look that tad confused as if they are suppose to know you. Remember, it is ok to say hello to a person you don't know.....figuring no kids are reading this and I don't have to go into a stranger danger lesson.


2. Acknowledge coworkers with a smile and a genuine caring hello. Must say it does help set the tone, because let me tell you a "barely hello" without even a look up ...ouch!


3. Say a kind word. Share a positive thought or feeling when someone else brings it out in you. Recently, I expressed to a co worker that I really appreciated their effort in taking the time to explain something to me. Yes, I got the puzzled, then pleased look and then a genuine "your welcome".

4. Thank You goes a long way. I have the sincere pleasure of working with the public, which includes interacting with children. Each time a child Thanks me as they leave, I quickly reply "Thanks for Thanking me". It causes them and their parents to do a double take and we all giggle. I started this silly response when my boys were very young.  I wanted to encourage them to say Thank You and see how their kind words could make others feel good.


 See where I'm going with this .......the more we extend a positive gesture, the more it will spread to others and the more it will surround us.....or so I believe!

No comments: